Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Love, Marriage and Suchlike: A Valentine’s Day Special






Love is in the air. I can feel it everywhere and people, especially those who are in a relationship, are excited for their Valentine’s Day romantic getaways. Families are keyed up for their thought-out fantastic trips. The singles? Well, it’s probably one occasion they wish to avoid but, it can be a time for crazy adventures.

Last Saturday, I attended the wedding of one of my colleagues where I witnessed a beautiful celebration of two people’s true love and  promise of forever. But then, it made me realized that when you are at your late 20’s or early 30’s, people will ask, “When are you getting married?” If you will answer that it’s not in two shakes, they will say, “You might miss the train!” or “What’s holding you?” But believe me, those who prefer to keep their comments in mind want to scream you are gay or lesbian—if not, too finicky when it comes to getting a mate.

There are many people asking me when will I get married. Long lost friends are even surprised or maybe wondering why I am still a bachelor. Well, let’s just say I am married to my work and I believe in the saying that a man’s life begins at 40. So, I still have so many years to count and I also trust there is always a next ride. Nay, I have important personal plans to realize before getting hitched. Besides, I am still enjoying a life of freedom and blithe—sans the nagging wife, the shopping spree demands, and the never-ending list of financial liabilities. Oops! I am not afraid of responsibilities for I have been carrying the saddle throughout half of my life.

Honestly, I really want to have children right now. It’s just that, I haven’t found my one true love yet. I just hope she is still alive, or she is not from across the globe that it would take my forever to find her. And I want to find her because I know that when it’s a match made in heaven, we will not end up in separation. 

I hate those overstated or destination weddings and extravagant honeymoons that culminate in annulment or divorce. For me, it’s a waste of precious things and time, and it breaks the trust of those who witnessed the vows to the Sacrament of Matrimony. Maybe because there are still so many things they want to accomplish, yet their marriage makes it impossible for them to do so. So for me, it’s better to marry late and be eternally happy than to be too impulsive to walk down the aisle that eventually leads to the verge of misery and regret of not making the right decision.

I have been through several relationships—a smorgasbord of short-lived, long-term, meaningful and futile bonds. Some of them changed my outlook in life, a few taught me important life lessons and quite a lot of them allowed me to experience the true essence of life and love all at once. Each of those experiences has left something for me to mull over and learn. Those are the things that help me grow as a person who can live only once, but can love over and over again. 

It is amazing that even if love already tends to crash your life you will still cling on to it, because you think that’s all you can do, and for you it’s the best. That even if the person doesn’t care for you anymore, or not even in a wink since from the start, you are still hoping that someday he or she will look at you differently and with prized admiration. Of course, it is life-altering to love and be loved in return. But still, we can’t impose our feelings on someone and ask to be loved back; otherwise, it will only spur agony and maladies that could devastate your soul.

I know you would agree that it’s very wonderful and crazy to fall in love. Whether it is requited or not, we will surely revel in its magic, remember that knee-buckling sensation, submerge into its mysterious depths, and embrace its tempting intimacy. But, what’s with ‘love’ anyway, that it can change the world in so many ways?

For me, love is both delicate and powerful. When it’s not handled with care, it can break not only your heart, but also the wholeness of your being. The fragility of this affection can breach your sanity, and at a slightest mistake, it can cut you deep and let you bleed endlessly.  It is powerful because it can make the impossible to happen. It can make you to do things you never thought you could in your lifetime. Aside from making you feel overjoyed, dying out and worn out altogether, isn’t it a miracle that with love you will be more willing to sacrifice in many different ways? It will inspire you to dream and achieve bigger things, and eventually propels you to live a life that you deserve—a life filled with genuine love and true happiness.

When you are ready to fall in love, make sure you are prepared to get hurt. Or else, love will lose its meaning and life will be worthless in the end.

TIPS ON HOW TO SPEND A WORTH-REMEMBERING VALENTINE’S DAY

For Lovers:
  1. Plan ahead.
  2. Make reservations for a hearty Valentine’s Day dinner and have a sweet indulgence somewhere.
  3. Buy her the traditional bouquet of flowers and chocolates.
  4. Prepare a special gift for your darling.
  5. End the day or night with a sweet kiss, an unforgettable embrace and a sincere “I Love You.”
For Families:
  1. Make sure the whole family spends a quality time together on this day.
  2. Make sure your plan fits and is agreeable to all the members.
  3. Check on the Internet for special Valentine’s Day Package Deals for families.
  4. Make sure it includes fun, food and fantastic treats.
  5. End the day or night with a warm group hug and a comforting “I Love You.”
For Singles:
  1. Make plans with your other single friends.
  2. Eat, drink and be merry.
  3. Do something wild but not stupid.
  4. Play games.
  5. End the night by exchanging of unique gifts.


Bloodspots




No comments:

Post a Comment